We are a divided house when it comes to meatloaf. Dillon – could eat meatloaf probably everyday. Me – no so much. I will eat meatloaf, but only like once every 5 years, and I like it super traditional and disgusting. You know what I’m talking about; ketchup, Ritz crackers smashed into it, maybe throw some cheese in there. Meatloaf is trash food and I believe it should be eaten that way, BUT Mr. Harris, just like myself enjoys testing the limits and boundaries of foods. Meatloaf just so happens to be a food he believes is limitless.
This is America so I understand that his variations of meatloaf are going to be extremely popular as well as delicious. We got a smoker and I knew the day would come that we would be smoking meatloaf and it is absolutely delicious! If you have a smoker you must try this recipe – if you don’t booooo go buy one OR make this in the oven. America loves meatloaf.
- 1lb of Ground Beef (80/20)
- 1lb of Ground Pork
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Bread Crumbs
- 1.5 Cups of BBQ sauce – split in 2 containers
- 3 Cloves of Garlic – diced
- Splash of A1 Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon of Oregano
- 2 Roasted Red Peppers – diced
- Half of Roasted Red Onion – diced
- Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder
- 1lb of thick cut bacon
- Meatloaf is fun because it is EAAAASY. Kids love making it, too! We made mini meatloaf for the smoker, but you can make the full size version of this – totally up to you! We also made our own roasted red pepper/onion but both can be bought at a local store. Okay! Combine ALL ingredients (except the bacon, foil, and half the BBQ sauce) into a bowl and mix for 3-5 minutes!
- If you are smoking like we did your smoker needs to be set at 225 degrees. If you are cooking in an over I’d say 350.
- We created little boats out of foil for each baby meatloaf to cook in. It was easier to form the meatloaf and then create a little boat appropriate for its’ size.
- Once your large or small meatloaf are in their appropriate boats or pans. Boats n Hos. Brush the meatloaf with the remaining BBQ sauce and then make an X with two strips of bacon over your meatloaf.
- Place the bad boys in the smoker for roughly 3 hours or until internal temp of 165 degrees. We did not brush with extra BBQ sauce or mess with these while they cooked. Set it and forget it! If you are cooking in the oven 350 degrees for about 90 minutes, but again temp to make sure it gets up to 165 degrees internally.
- After the 3 hour mark, temp, and if they are done pull off the smoker and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Get your other side dishes completed at this time!
- Serve and Enjoy!